Benchmark Finance and Treasury Operations Against Industry Peers
Fortune 500 U.S. Bank & Retail Brokerage
The corporate CFO and Treasurer sought to determine whether the enterprise’s finance and treasury operations were optimized to meet the organization’s growth objectives. Reference Point’s work focused on the processes, capabilities, and technologies in support of portfolio management, trading operations, back-office operations, and payments.
- Existing Finance and Treasury functions relied heavily on aging systems and end-user computing applications, both of which presented significant limitations. This resulted in workarounds, manual processes, key personnel dependencies, and segregation of duties issues.
- Leadership wanted to better understand areas of weakness and opportunities for improvement so that they could prioritize future investments in technology to support the firm’s growth strategy.
- Reference Point deployed a team of consultants and industry experts, including former Managing Director at Citi and JP Morgan, and the former head of Treasury Operations at Goldman Sachs.
- The team used Reference Point’s Strategic Capability Assessment to guide the engagement. Reference Point performed research, including interviews with key stakeholders, to understand existing processes, systems and applications, and to identify associated pain points and issues.
- Reference Point benchmarked the current operations versus industry peers to prioritize potential improvement opportunities, based on its research and the team’s experience.
- The Client identified key areas of focus for future improvements, based specifically on Reference Point’s observations, recommendations and detailed work packages.
- Reference Point also developed a project roadmap to guide the implementation of the recommendations and proposed solutions, which enabled better staffing and funding decisions.
- Reference Point was later engaged to lead the implementation of recommendations, maintaining continuity and expertise from assessment through implementation for the Client.